a day in the life of an air force family...

Thursday, September 23, 2010

volunteering and spitting



A few days ago Chris came home with an invite for an OSS Spouses Tower Tour. Spouses of OSS members would meet at the RAPCON, take a tour of the brand new facility and help make care packages for deployed OSS members. (RAPCON stands for Radar APproach CONtrol and OSS stands for Operations Support Squadron.) I decided to volunteer along with my friend and fellow OSS spouse, Whitney. She is married to Josh, who works on the same crew as Chris. They are also work-out buddies *rolls eyes - lol*. Anyway, so last night we went and everyone got a tour of the new facility. The Air Force spent $18.1 million on this new building; the Tower and RAPCON used to be separate but now they are in one building. Dover now has the best Tower/RAPCON facility in the Air Force. The room where Chris works is too dark to take any pictures (they need it to be dark to see the scopes), but I did take some pictures from the Tower...

 

That is a C-17 taking off, first time I've ever seen one take off! Very cool; they are HUGE and look sooo heavy that you never think they'll actually get off the ground. Then we went out onto the catwalk. There is a little square door in the wall, maybe 3.5 ft x 3.5 ft. And it leads out onto the catwalk which is basically a narrow balcony that goes all the way around the Tower, under the windows. Amazing view!

       




Also, yesterday I took Ava for a walk around base and stopped at Whitney's house for a visit. Ava was on the floor playing while we sat on the couch and talked. All of a sudden I heard Ava making a noise I've never heard her make before. I look down and she's spitting! Drool all over her face, tongue sticking out, it was so funny! It may not seem like a big deal, but it was to me! I absolutely love it when she learns something new, even if it means I have to wipe her face an extra 100 times a day lol. I took a video today and you can see it on our YouTube channel at the bottom of the page! I also added a link on the right side-bar for the channel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment